AR Newsletter
New AR
Former Names of the Adventist Review   [Main Story]

•The Present Truth—Between July 1849 and November 1850 the editors published 11 issues of the church paper under this name.

•The Advent Review—Between August and November 1850 six issues of The Advent Review were published at irregular intervals, including one issue called The Advent Review Extra in September 1850.

•Second Advent Review and Sabbath Herald—Between November 1850 and July 1851 this was the name used.

•The Advent Review and Sabbath Herald—The word “Second” was dropped and the article “The” was added from August 1851 to December 13, 1870.

•The Advent Review and Herald of the Sabbath—This name was used from December 20, 1870, to December 23, 1875.

•The Advent Review and Sabbath Herald—Editors returned to this name January 1876 to April 1961.

•Review and Herald—The name was shortened to Review and Herald from May 1961 to March 4, 1971.

•The Advent Review and Sabbath Herald—Editors returned to this name from March 18, 1971, to December 1972. This was the title on the publication page. The title in the header was simply Review.

•Advent Review and Sabbath Herald—The article “The” was dropped from January 1973 to December 1977. This was the title on the publication page. The title in the header was simply Review.

•Adventist Review—In January 1978 the name was changed to Adventist Review, which continues to the present.
Throughout its history, however, the paper has been commonly referred to simply as the Review.

Review
Editors
                                                   


In the 157-year history of the Adventist Review, formerly called The Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, The Review and Herald, and The Present Truth, among others, only 10 men prior to its current editor, Bill Knott, have served as editor in chief: James White (1849-1881, intermittent); Uriah Smith (1855-1903, intermittent); John Nevins Andrews (1869-1870); Alonzo T. Jones (1897-1901); William W. Prescott (1903-1909); William A. Spicer (1909-1911, 1945); Francis M. Wilcox (1911-1944); Francis D. Nichol (1945-1966); Kenneth H. Wood (1966-1982); and William G. Johnsson (1982-2006).

__________ 
This information was researched at the Ellen G. White Estate in Silver Spring, Maryland.




 
Exclude PDF Files


Copyright � 2017, Adventist Review. All rights reserved worldwide. Online Editor: Carlos Medley.
SiteMap. Powered by SimpleUpdates.com © 2002-2017. User Login / Customize.