During the 1870s Seventh-day Adventist work was just being established in the San Francisco Bay area with the building of the Pacific Press in Oakland and a meeting house for worship. In San Francisco meetings were being held in tents. During that time, as Ellen White wrote later, “believers were few in number, and we needed much courage and much faith to brace us for the work” (Review and Herald, July 5, 1906). Following her “beehive vision” in 1876, showing a great work to be done in San Francisco, Ellen and husband James White prayed earnestly “in regard to the necessities of the cause and the meaning of the dream, and resolved to venture out in accordance with the light given” (ibid.). The Whites decided to sell their home and property in Battle Creek, Michigan, and provided more than $6,000 to build the churches in San Francisco and Oakland.
The church in San Francisco, originally located at 914 Laguna Street, survived the great 1906 earthquake and fire. By 1927 the congregation had outgrown the original building and purchased a church at the corner of California and Broderick streets, where the San Francisco Central Seventh-day Adventist congregation still meets today. Since that time 10 more Adventist churches have been established in the city of San Francisco. The church in Oakland was built on 12th Street, just north of Castro Street, where today there is a large interstate freeway. However, Oakland now has five active Seventh-day Adventist churches located throughout the city.