Navigating the Online Dating Pool
Willie and Elaine Oliver, director and associate director of the Family Ministries Department of the General Conference, share these tips for those thinking about trying Internet dating:
• Be honest about the picture you put online, and be sure the other person is too.
• Don’t beat around the bush. What are you really looking for—fun, friendship, or marriage?
• Don’t compromise on your values just to get a date.
• Be careful about sharing— don’t share too much information too soon.
• Don’t be shy—get offline and set a date in person.
• Be smart—meet in a public place.
• Tell a friend—within a short time, introduce the person to someone you trust who knows you well and has your best interest at heart.
• Stick to dating someone of your faith. And make sure they follow the same Adventist principles you do.